I’ve had the pleasure of working with many brides as they prepare for their big day. From that experience, I’ve put together this list of things to consider when hiring a makeup artist. Hopefully this helps cross one thing off your long wedding to-do list!
1.My #1 goal is for a bride to feel comfortable on her special day. As far makeup goes, that begins with selecting a makeup artist that you feel comfortable with so you can clearly communicate your style and the look you want to create. Go with your instincts. If you feel relaxed and calm when you speak with a potential makeup artist on the phone, then she will most likely help you feel calm and relaxed on your wedding day. Also, look for someone who is similar to you - someone who has a similar style or a style you like and also similar likes and dislikes. That puts you a step ahead!
2. I’ve been asked, “Why a makeup artist vs. a makeup counter at a department store?” As a makeup artist, I am passionate about color, makeup and style ... and that translates into the work I do. Also, when you book me or a Pop of Pink makeup artist, you know exactly who you will work with. We form a relationship where we talk about your look and work together so you look and feel glamorous on your special day. Overall, a makeup artist provides a more personal experience and this investment helps ensure you look your best on the most photographed day of your life.
3. Set aside time for a trial run or two. Part of this is also booking your makeup artist very early on in the wedding planning process. Number one, you want to ensure you secure the artist of your choice. I know my calendar fills up quickly! Also, by booking your artist you allow for plenty of time to do a trial run (or two) and determine the look you are going for. When I do a trial application, I write down every product I use and then I am able to use time wisely on the day of the event. Also, it’s nice to arrange for a trial on a day when you have a shower or party so you can arrive looking stunning!
5. A picture is worth a thousand words. Bring pictures…of yourself and of someone whose look you love. Brides should look like themselves on their wedding day, but also feel more made up and glamorous. These two types pictures help us clearly communicate the look we’re shooting for. One person’s smoky eye is not the same as someone else’s smoky eye!
4. Makeup artists have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves … On your wedding day, you not only want your makeup to last all day, but you want it to photograph well. We can help!
5. To travel or not to travel. Another thing to consider is where you will have your makeup done - on location or at the makeup studio. I think it’s nice to go to a bride at her wedding location, because generally it’s a relaxed atmosphere with her closest friends and family around her. It also may ease some of the bride’s stress by not having to worry about traveling to and from a studio on an already busy day.
6. And last, but certainly not least…Remember your bridesmaids and your mom. These ladies have devoted a lot of time helping you get ready for your wedding and are a special part of your day - especially your mom - so it’s nice to treat them to some pampering from a makeup artist.
For the wedding party, I take into consideration the bride’s look and also the color of the dresses. We try to coordinate with the bride’s makeup, but tailor it to each bridesmaids’ personality. Working with a group of women who love and support each other is so much fun!
I know planning a wedding is a monumental task and as a makeup artist, I hope to help brides relax knowing that they look glamorous on this very special day! If you have any questions or would like to talk about an event you have coming up, I’d love to chat. Just contact me at the Pop of Pink Glam Bar, or on Facebook and Instagram @PopofPinkCosmetics
Beauty S.O.S (Save Our Skin)
Hi Gals - I love a summer glow as much as anyone, but I want to get that sun-kissed color as safely as possible and protect my skin every day from the harmful effects of UV rays. I was recently introduced to COOLA, a healthy, 70% organic sun protection and skincare line, and it has become a new obsession of mine. I’m super excited to now sell this fabulous line of sunscreen products in the Pop of Pink Glam Bar & Boutique.
I hand-picked the COOLA Mineral Sunscreens for the boutique, which are perfect for your face and come in both an unscented, matte version and the lightly tinted Rose Essence Moisturizer. I also chose the unique COOLA Make-up Setting Spray, and the COOLA Sport Sunscreen Spray for your body. So we have you covered from head to toe!
COOLA Mineral Sunscreen for Face
One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to sunscreen is its greasy, tacky feeling. COOLA changes everything you thought about a facial sunscreen; it’s silky and pow-dery and fabulous under make-up.
The two formulas come in two different but equally protective finishes: one for women that want a little hint of color, and another for those that want an unscented, matte finish. The lightly tinted Rose Essence Moisturizer is my favorite, especially for a bare face, and Ally, my 11-year-old daughter, loves the Unscented Matte Sunscreen, because it protects her skin without that heavy, greasy feeling and the hard-to-rub-in white color.
Both of the mineral sunscreens are formulated for all skin types and tones, even those that are sensitive or oily! It goes great under or instead of make-up -- even in my hot, humid coastal Texas climate. It’s water resistant and great for trips to the lake or beach.
While these products do a great job of protecting your skin, they also actually enhance it with an anti-oxidant infused formula filled with natural ingredients like Rose Hip Oil, Evening Primrose, Flax Seed Oils and Shea Butter.
Why are you so passionate about make-up and women?
I truly believe that a substantial part of feeling good is knowing that you look your best. When a woman’s inner self shines through, the world witnesses her beauty. I hope to be a small part of helping women express who they are on the inside and on the outside.
After years as a make-up artist using other brands of make-up, what led you to create your own line?
When working with clients, I learned that many women are overwhelmed at the make-up counter when faced with so many color choices. Women weren’t sure which colors complimented each other or their own skin coloring. So, I set out to create face kits that take the guesswork out of color choice and make-up application. The Pop of Pink Cosmetics Face Kits make it simple for women to look and feel their best everyday.
Since launching Pop of Pink Cosmetics in May 2015, what has the last year been like?
The hard work I put into launching the line was just the beginning. I had tremendous interest online and quickly opened up the Pop of Pink Boutique & Glam Bar to help handle the demand. The line has only taken off from there. Not only do I operate the boutique, but we host make-up socials several times a week, too. I’m also booked most weekends for bridal parties. It’s been a whirlwind year, and I’m thrilled to be able to do what I love every day.
Brides to teens seek your advice on how to best apply make-up. What’s one tip you could share with everyone?
I recommend that all women, or even young ladies, finish their face with a Pop of Pink, my signature blush. For a teen, it’s the first blush and for women, it enhances the blush you were already wearing. Pop of Pink is worn only on the apples of your cheeks and provides a beautiful soft glow and a brightness that you can’t find in other blushes.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.